Benefits of attending a residential Christian Camp
~by Mark Dublar
1. A Youth Christian Camp Instills Great Values in Cool Ways
Research from the fields of education and psychology has consistently shown that the core values of young people, and consequently their own worldview, are formed in their adolescent years. Kids may not even know why they believe what they believe, but they believe it, nonetheless! In other words, values and beliefs are caught, and not necessarily taught.
A well run youth Christian camp will have staff members that not only teach great lessons about God and about life, they will model these lessons in the ways they care for kids and serve them. Many people will tell you that the love and care of youth Christian camp counselors made a huge impact on their lives.
2. A Youth Christian Camp Helps Kids Own their Faith
A lot of church programs are run on the same model school classes are taught. Kids hear teachings and new information, there may be some short discussion, and then they are on their way to other things. But, a well run youth Christian camp allows many opportunities for kids to get some alone time with God. These times are typically brief enough to be age appropriate, but the key is to allow young people to "own" their faith by actually practicing some of the basic spiritual
3. A Youth Christian Camp Allows Young People to Create Great Relationships
When young people interact with new friends who share their beliefs, talk openly about them, and live a life that sincerely involves faith, their own faith can grow greatly. One common meaning of the word discipleship that is found in the scriptures is to "rub off on something." Discipleship, in the Bible, doesn't mean getting lots of sermons or hearing Bible lessons, it literally means that a person can rub off on others as they seek to disciple them. In other words, those who were discipled actually became like the one who discipled them.
When young people are mentored by camp staff members or by other peers who take them under their wing, amazing things can happen.
So, as you research the wide range of options for summer camp, consider the unique benefits that a youth Christian camp can offer to your children.
Why should you choose to attend SEP So Cal Youth Camp?
• SEP So. Cal. has excellent staff that genuinely care for the youth. All of our staff are screened and have passed a background check. Our camp directors are ACA Certified (American Camp Association). Our staff are well trained, have a real heart to work with youth and have the love of God flowing through them. Click here to meet our staff.
• SEP So. Cal. has an above average Staff to Camper ratio. We can accommodate up to 172 campers and 70 staff. This enables a better than 3:1 camper to staff ratio and allows the ability for staff to give youth the attention, acceptance and guidance they deserve.
• SEP So. Cal. embraces staff and campers from many different denominations. At SEP the emphasis is on Loving God and Loving Neighbor, not on denominational differences.
• SEP So. Cal. promotes a holistic approach to youth ministry that acknowledges and strives to develop the whole potential of the participant. This camp seeks to develop youth not only spiritually, but also emotionally, physically and socially. This is accomplished through chapels, debriefing, solo time, activities, sports, special events, dorm living and other experiences.
• SEP So. Cal. offers a wide variety of activities that offer amazing growth opportunities in a breathtaking and inspiring setting. Click here for a list of activities.
• SEP So. Cal. offers Equipping Tracks for the SR Campers (ages 12-18) to help the youth find their gifts, receive training in those areas, and develop mentoring relationship to last for years to come. Click here for a list of the Equipping Tracks.
• SEP So. Cal. is held at a fantastic location called Pine Valley Bible Conference Center. Learn more about this well run facility here: www.pvbcc.org.
• SEP So. Cal. is a great deal for the price. Our tuition at SEP So. Cal. is much lower than the average one-week resident camp (Average ACA one-week resident camp $690). Included in the tuition is: 7 days & 6 nights of lodging; 17 high quality meals & snacks; 3 camp T-shirts; & water bottle; all activity supplies; bounce house & inflatable rentals for JR Camp; JR Camp Horse Program; JR Camp Rappelling; SR Camp High Ropes Challenge Course & Zip Line.
• SEP So. Cal. has a group of people praying throughout the week over each and every camper and staff member by name who is at camp.
• In the end, it is the Love of God permeating all aspects of camp ~ especially the relationships ~ that make this camp so life transforming.
Why Our Cost?
Why does SEP So Cal's tuition cost what it does?
85% of tuition covers what we
pay to the facility for food,
lodging & building rental.
8% of tuition covers activities,
supplies, equipment, etc.
7% of tuition covers staff
(All staff are volunteer. No staff are paid to serve at camp.)
What does tuition include?
• 7 Days & 6 Nights Lodging at a Christian Retreat Center*
• 2:1 Camper to Staff Ratio
• 17 High Quality Meals
• 3 Camp T-Shirts
• Camper T-Shirt Laundry
• JR Camp Horse Program
• JR Camp Vertical Playpen and Zip Line
• SR Camp High Ropes Challenge Course & Zip Line
• Full-time Lifeguards at the Pool
• Thorough Staff Screening & Training
• JR Camp Creative Arts Supplies
• Decorations, Supplies, & Equipment for Activities
• Office Supplies
• Staff Room & Board
• Insurance Coverage
*According to the ACA (American Camp Association), the average 7 day resident camp cost is $690 and often cost $1,000+, so SEP So Cal is well below the average.